There's one simple answer for most men to the ''Should I wear a polo today question?'' and it's a solid ''NO!'' and here's why.
Most polo shirts (and I say most because I'll give you some exceptions in a moment) are cut badly; they're simply too boxy and not tailored enough to the male form. Now, even if you're the size of a horse, non-fitted clothing doesn't show you off very well. Also, when was it a good idea to combine colours like yellow and orange in hideous thick stripes? Well it wasn't and never will be, so don't buy one.
For example:
As you can clearly see, there is a whole load of unwanted fabric around his middle and the shirt arms are far too loose. Also, if it doesn't exactly look great on a professional model, it's not likely to look that great on the rest us. However, I feel we can give him points for not wearing stupid colours (look at some of Ralph Lauren's if you don't know what I mean).
The exceptions:
This is a polo I quite like. It has a nice cut on the arms and around the middle and he also has remembered to undo the buttons. If you fasten the buttons you look like an preppy knob on a business 'home clothes' day.
Now, if I was being a bit anal about this image I would say that the black stripe on his polo would go better with some black jeans or he needs navy stripes on the polo. This would add some continuity and make his outfit more crisp.
So, if you do hear the polo call to you, here a few tips to keep you looking hot:
1. Undo the bloody buttons and under no circumstances pop the collar!
2. Ensure it is tailored (it should follow the natural contours of your body)
3. Do not wear one of these if you are fat (it's seriously not going to flatter you)!
4. Avoid stupid colours and patterns and go instead for simple colour scheme and remember to coordinate parts of your outfit (i.e, black shoes with a black belt, etc).
Anyway, until next time: Dress Hot ‐ Be Hot
Great This really is one of the best blogs I've ever come across on this subject.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.apparelnbags.com/hanes/index.htm
Thanks Martin. I'm glad this has been of use to someone!
ReplyDeleteHoping you are well,
M.J.Beswick